Sunday 16 November 2014

Echezonachukwu Nduka chats with Nesta.



“Being a TV journalist has opened doors for me.”_ Nesta.


This Sunday,  we have Obinna Maurice Ifediora, a multi-talented Nigerian musician who goes by the stage name Nesta. As a Muson-trained music scholar and performer, he has continued to distinguish himself in classical and reggae music performances within Nigeria and beyond. This session reveals interesting stories about the man and his art.






AAH: Recently, you recorded a new freestyle reggae titled One Drop Reggae. I'm particularly thrilled by the instrumental interplay, the groovy rhythm and the lyrics. What drove you to do the freestyle recording?

Nesta: I was at home one evening with my wife, and my kid bro came in. He told me he got a beat for me from Jamaica, he told me I would like it - a boy who knows my passion for reggae music. He played it and I liked it. And then I asked if I could record, he said yes, and in my bedroom we recorded that song.

AAH: As a Muson-trained music scholar, to what extent were you influenced or encouraged to venture into pop music writing and performance?

Nesta: First of all, I don't see reggae as pop. You might be right, but for the respect and passion I have for reggae music, let's leave it at REGGAE.
I started reggae music from childhood before I even knew what Classical music was. I was motivated and influenced by people like Bob Marley and Peter Tosh. The way they touched lives, it just made me believe I could do the same. Today I'm glad that people listen to me and wonder what planet I came from. It’s a blessing.
And as for Muson, that place made me realise my dreams. Muson trains you for the outside world, and I'm glad I came from such a place. It also encouraged me too, as the greatest music teachers in Nigeria can be found there.  It’s such a wonderful place.

AAH: You spent some years as a student of Music at the University of Nigeria before you proceeded to Muson School of Music to study Music. If you are to make juxtaposition, how would you rate the performance of both institutions in the area of music performance of several genres?

Nesta: (Laughs) Nsukka didn't really give me anything I must say. It only made me rugged because I studied under some gurus like Dr. Ade Adeogun and Peter Sylvanus. But talking about the performance of both institutions, Nsukka is a wonderful place with top class lecturers, but can never be compared with Muson School of Music! Muson takes you through music in the diaspora; jazz, blues, straight unto opera. Muson is phenomenal and so I cannot compare Nsukka and Muson. The gap is quite wide Echee.. Very wide.

AAH: You are undoubtedly one of the finest baritone singers in Nigeria at the moment. How do you manage to sing your reggae songs and some other pop songs with an entirely different voice texture as opposed to your main baritone voice used in oratorios, operas and other arias? And how do you combine those genres comfortably?

Nesta: The voice is the laziest instrument ever. And it follows as you lead. To sing operas and classical music, more muscles are involved, but for reggae music, less muscle is needed. So my classical voice sounds very heavy, deep and resounding while the later sounds tiny. The voice has gotten used to the fact that it multi-tasks. Classical music is difficult to sing compared to pop music and others. So if you can sing classical music, there's no genre you cannot sing. Dare Art Alade, Dupe Ige Kachi, Myself, Olumide Dada and a host of others are very good examples.



      Nesta performing an aria on stage in Muson Centre and accompanied by the orchestra. 












    




AAH: You are one of the 3-Baritones and you have performed in several concerts. How would you rate your performances so far? What would you say are your triumphs and challenges as a group?
                                              
Nesta: Our performances have always been top notch. Our triumphs have been the fact that we don't push too hard to learn songs because we were first of all good friends before we started out. Our challenges have been the fact that, we also perform solos, and do other stuffs, and we don't have enough time to practice, but we know our voices in and out so we leverage on that.
For every song, we automatically know who takes Baritone 1,2, and 3. And that's because we know our voice textures very well. So once we pick for instance, "Mattinata", we already know who takes which part.

The 3-Baritones. L-R; JohnPaul Ochei, Nesta & Olumide Dada posing before a performance.




















AAH: As a baritone, you have performed several oratorios and played major characters in operas like Trial by Jury, Pirates of Penzance, Magic Flute and several others. You have also given solo recitals. How would you describe the experiences you have garnered over the years & how would you rate your classical music performances so far?

Nesta: That's a very interesting question. In that, I have paid my dues in this country when it comes to classical music. It’s been a fantastic experience.  I have made the greatest mistakes that have turned out to shape my career and I have performed works that no baritone singer my age has performed. 5 Masses, 12 Oratorios, 7 Operas, to mention a few. It has been a wonderful experience. To God be the Glory.

Playing SARASTRO, a character in Mozart's Magic Flute.

                          
                            













AAH: On reggae, you formed a band, the Uprising, and you have had several performances. What have been your major challenges in directing your band?

Nesta: Controlling band members is the most difficult thing to do. The Holy Book says "a man's talent maketh way for him". These people have got to play for other musicians to make money as it is not easy for a young man my age to own a band. So I decided to work with session men, and that's how I have slowly made impact.

AAH: Your stage name is Nesta. How did you come up with the name? Does it mean anything special to you?

Nesta: Yes!! A lot. My greatest prophet, teacher, musician and mentor Bob Marley had that name. He was a great man and I took that name because I found his personalities in me. Some people even say I sound like him. (Laughs)
My Late father and my friend Edirule were the first people to tell me I had traits of Bob Marley.

AAH: Bob Marley was known to be an activist as a musician and his activism reflects on the lyrics of his music. Since you've taken after him and your song titled 'Onye Tiri Nwa N'ebe Akwa', a popular Igbo children's play song which you transformed into wonderful reggae music recounts some challenges faced by the average Nigerian. How would you rate the effects of your song and other songs with similar themes considering the fact that your antecedents like Fela Kuti and co. have made efforts to make a positive change in Nigeria and the African continent with little or no results?

Nesta: It’s a concern. A big one, that we have wolves and lions in the name of POLITRICKSHANS. I once took my song "Monkey ah go work" to a radio station for airplay and they refused to play it because I mentioned "Boko Haram is bombing, police are shooting, pipelines are breaking". The truth is, the effect is very little now, but Rome was not built in a day.
Performing live on stage with his band The Uprising at Freedom Park, Lagos.















AAH: As a performing Nigerian musician, I know you may or may not be a certified member of PMAN. But if you're made the President of PMAN today, what would be your first project?

Nesta: Remove junk musicians and create a level playing ground for ALL genres.
Bring back what is known as "Record Company" and "Record Label". Not this vague child's play we call record label today. You remember Sony Music, Ivory Music, etc...

AAH: There is this disturbing notion by many people that reggae musicians are somewhat irresponsible and notorious for smoking weed. What's your take on this?

Nesta: That's an ignorant perspective!! Reggae musicians are the mouthpiece of Jah Rastafari. The teachings of Mortimer Planno, Marcus Garvey, Haile Sellasie 1st and Bob Marley preach responsibility. A Rasta is a peace loving man. The herb is a sign of a covenant as written in the Nazarites law which Rastas follow and obey to the later. Genesis 1vs 11, Psalm 104 vs 14, Genesis 1vs 29, Genesis 3 vs 18, Proverbs 15 vs 17, Revelation 22 vs 2.

AAH: Aside from being an active musician, you are also a journalist with Silverbird Televisions (STV) where you work as a reporter. You have interviewed various celebrities and featured actively in several high class events. You also work as a church choir master and band director. Please, how do you cope with all these responsibilities? And has being a TV journalist affected your music performance in any way?

Nesta: Being a TV Journalist has opened doors for me. I meet these artistes and they identify with my skills immediately, so they also in one way or the other invite me to play in some big shows. Then for being a Choir Master and a band director; I learnt those skills from the Muson School of Music. Although it was my personality before I studied, I've always been a workaholic. Muson brought out that hidden resistance to hard work. Thanks to people like my teacher Korede Omopeloye. So, let's say I get by unscratched.
Nesta interviewing the literary icon, Professor Wole Soyinka in Lagos, Nigeria.














AAH: One last question, please. You are married and this makes it more interesting. Tell me, how do you handle your female fans and admirers?

Nesta: My female fans are my inspirations. Yes, I get the urge to womanize once in a while, but that's the reason I got married in the first place. I knew such would happen. When those temptations come, it’s either I pick up the phone and start talking to my wife, or I think about her. It’s not me. It’s been God holding me from falling all the way. So, mi giv thanks tuh Jah, fi di love wey him giv seen..... Rastafari

AAH: Have you any comments with which to close this wonderful session?

Nesta: Over the years, I have discovered who I am, and found out that, what I used to be was what either my parents or the world wanted me to be. And I struggled to live with that. I only became a free man the day I discovered who I really am. It’s simple. I am a "WORKING ART WORK" created by Jah. And wherever the art tilts, I follow. Be it reggae, jazz, soul, classical, theatre, journalism, book-writing, etc. It’s all about the art.

AAH: That's very interesting. It's really been wonderful chatting with you. Thanks for your time.

Nesta: Thank you, sir.

No comments: